View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Covid-19 Vaccination and ethnic minorities in UK - February 22nd 2021, 03:21 PM

I not long had a conversation with my mum. It started out that I was a bit annoyed by Boris Johnson's behaviour. I firmly believe gyms should be classed as essential but he refuses to do so. Instead his briefing in parliament was him spending his time dodging questions. One of the questions related to the vaccine rollout for ethnic minorities and what is the PM doing to tackle the lower vaccination rates amongst them. He dodged the question and said how he's pledged 23 million towards 'hard to reach areas'. What a great response.

The point that person was trying to make is there a racial (note: racial, not racist) issue here in why ethnic minorities weren't receiving the amount they should. Of course my mum instantly chips in saying 'it's all propaganda' and how the vaccination is killing BAME. I was like... what? How is it propaganda that ethnic minorities aren't receiving the right amount of vaccinations? I said to her that ethnic minorities are MORE at risk, if anything else. I countered her claims and said that it could be argued her statement is propaganda too (which it is).

She claimed she got her information from the government site. I said. So have I (since I LITERALLY just watched the PM on the news and SAW him say these things). She then shuts me down saying how she 'isn't going to argue about something or nothing'. What was there to argue about? She came up with a completely stupid and false claim.

The reason why ethnic minorities here are at risk are BECAUSE of statements like hers. They've become lead to believe it will kill them. This is how fake news starts. With people like her. And of course because she'd read some random crap online, as she does, and instantly believes it as fact.. people who are similar will do the same. The cycle just keeps going.

I even looked on the Welsh government site: https://phw.nhs.wales/topics/immunis...t-the-vaccine/

Maybe I'm stupid and blind but NOWHERE does it say, 'Do not take this if you're an ethnic minority.

In fact this is what it DOES say, 'As well as age and underlying co-morbid conditions, potential risk factors include occupational exposure, disadvantage and ethnicity.

Research has shown that people in those groups have been disproportionately affected by COVID-19 with a higher infection rate, higher mortality risk or higher likelihood of transmission.
'.

I'm very sorry this section is always filled with my rants. But this was just so stupid.