View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Sprite-1 Offline
Banned
Average Joe

Name: Tommy

Points: 3,066, Level: 8 Points: 3,066, Level: 8 Points: 3,066, Level: 8

Pickles & Chutney recipes from Ismail Merchant's Indian Cuisine - April 1st 2021, 02:50 PM

All the recipes in this topic are from my late mum's treasured cookbook, Ismail Merchant Indian Cuisine, published by Futura Publications 1986. As time allows I will post new recipes here.

Sweet Peach Chutney
(or Sweet Piglet Julie's Chutney)

NOTE. Alcohol is used so please ask your parent's permission if you are underage.

'This sweet chutney is great when used as a compliment to main dishes or to top ice cream as a dessert.'

Prep and cooking time: about 3 hours, plus cooling. Makes about 5 x 750ml/1 1/4 pt jars

4.5kg/10lb firm ripe peaches
2 cinnamon sticks
225ml/8 fl oz medium-dry sherry
6 cardamom pods
450g/1lb sugar
150g/5oz raisins
125ml/4fl oz lemon juice
1 teaspoon almond essence

Heat a large saucepan of water to the boil and remove from heat. Drop in 8 - 12 peaches, leave for 1 minute, then remove 1 peach and peel off the skin and set it aside. Repeat with the other peaches in the water.

Continue soaking the rest of the peaches, a few at a time, in the hot water, reheating if necessary, peeling and setting them aside.

Halve and stone the peaches, then chop the flesh.

Combine the peaches, cinnamon, sherry, cardamom pods, sugar, raisins, lemon juice and almond essence in a large saucepan or preserving pan. Bring the mixture to the boil, stirring frequently.

Reduce the heat and simmer over a medium-low heat for 2 hours or until the mixture becomes very thick, stirring frequently. Reduce the heat, if necessary, to prevent burning.

When the chutney is cool enough, transfer it to clean dry glass or ceramic jars and cover with non-metallic, airtight lids. Store in a cool dark place*

*Not the fridge, I add. Fridges do nothing for the glorious taste of chutneys and pickles and will ruin their flavour.