(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stacey Offline
BrokenInsanity circa 2004
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stacey
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 18,927, Level: 19 Points: 18,927, Level: 19 Points: 18,927, Level: 19

Re: What to talk about in therapy - June 9th 2021, 04:33 PM

Like Eli mentioned, I usually keep a list of things that have come up for me between sessions - important events, difficult feelings, etc - anything that may be helpful to discuss with my therapist.

We often begin by going over a brief overview of my week, month, whatever time period it's been between sessions and then she will ask me if I have anything specific I'd like to focus on, or we will continue from a previous session. If I'm having trouble focusing on something, my overview of what has happened since we last spoke can often prompt her to suggest something we may want to focus on or ask about my feelings towards something that occurred, or she will occasionally ask if I felt we have covered everything I hoped to cover in a previous session or about a previous issue.

Keeping a list is the biggest help, but if you're at a loss for something to discuss you can always reschedule your appointment for a week later, or tell your therapist that you are struggling to find something you wish to focus on and they may be able to suggest something based on what they know, or focus on more general coping, skills, etc.

Stacey
Original join date: 27th September, 2004.
HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.