View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Re: "Admitting" you are disabled. - July 4th 2021, 10:11 PM

Although I have learning disabilities, I don't really see them as a 'disability' More of a challenge to overcome.

I've lived with them for most of my life and thought they were normal. I thought my struggles with understanding analogue clocks was a bit weird but normal. I thought constantly dropping and crashing into things was normal. I thought my poor crappy handwriting was normal. I thought my easily distracted nature was normal. I thought misreading words was normal because it happened every single day.

Turned out these things weren't considered 'normal' and were part of disabilities.

By the time I turned 25 and got a proper assessment, and received a diagnosis, the assessor already noted that I clearly already developed a lot of strategies to overcome my issues. Just that now I'm even more aware they exist, I've adjusted even further.

I think the only time I've struggled is recognising and understanding boundaries. It has been mentioned by my mum that I nearly got checked out for autism, and my closest friend said he wouldn't be surprised if I were somewhere on the spectrum. I think if I ended up getting assessed and it came out that I had some level of autism or Asperger's, I would struggle to accept it.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.