View Single Post
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount81

Edit avatar

Re: "Admitting" you are disabled. - July 7th 2021, 03:54 PM

When I first read the post, I said to myself that your limitations are not disabilities; but the word "disability" has such a wide range and is a spectrum of differences and limitations from the "normal" human functions — or any animal, for that matter... not just human beings!

The first thing you need to understand is what qualifies as a reasonable accommodation? Be sure you look up details of the American with Disabilities Act; do they cover mental health or other disorder of brain chemistry? Once you've answered those questions then, yes, you should get documentation from a doctor's office or a mental health professional that say "Dez has these disabilities and require the following:" which you would tell them about so they know what to point out in their letter to your place of employment or school.

If looking at the ADA specifications get to be too much, certainly do ask your doctor or mental health professional for guidance!

It sounds like more work than you'd like, but if you want these accommodations then having a licensed physician's official note that you are able to physically (I wouldn't recommend digital) hand in to your employer or professors would be best.

Finally, admitting you have a disability is not the end of the world. Worrying about what other people will think/say and they'll begin to treat you differently is certainly valid and it does happen. Just let them know, "Hey, I'm still me. I just struggle a bit with my mental health. I get tired a lot." (etc) and keep reminding them of this. More likely than not, they'll be supportive and try their best to be mindful of your limitations.

I wish you the best of luck.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.