View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

ACL injury - July 29th 2021, 10:10 PM

I know nobody here is a doctor, and nor do I expect an answer but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Long story slightly shorter... the gym I work at requires us to teach classes. I teach 2 per shift. So 6 classes. 4 of the 6 classes require a lot of leg work. One requires none, and the other requires at least some. On top of this I also do my own leg exercises to keep up with fitness. That's a whole bunch of leg exercise. Needless to say I've been overworked because of the amount of classes I've had to teach, and trying to keep up with my own level of fitness.

At one point around last month I was doing some leg exercises that were reasonably heavy and I felt something 'go' in my right knee. I wobbled and there was pain, but me being stupidly me, I carried on. I ignored all the problems and signs of wear and then last week, I decided to do some night cleaning (a PT is leaving and is useless at work) on some equipment. I came home that night and I noticed my knee was clicking every time I went up the stairs.

I managed to get a doctor's appointment and saw the doctor today.

She assessed my knee and she said I have an issue with my Anterior Cruciate Ligament. I knew I'd injured a ligament but I wasn't sure which. An ACL injury is the most common type of knee injury.

I don't have pain in the knee joint when I move it but it does click when I have to add pressure when stepping or doing things like squats or lunges etc. The doctor said with something like this, it may have flicked out of place and can take 2-3 months to repair. I've visited Dr. Google in case it may have been torn/partially torn and apparently people with tears generally feel pain... so in a way that's good.

However, I need to continue keeping up with exercise due to the nature of my work. Has anyone ever had an ACL injury or know of anyone who has? Do you know of any recovery exercises that may help?

I suppose it's ironic considering the nature of my work, however, with something like this, it's beyond my scope of practice and comes under sports rehab and I have no idea how one would even go about sorting it.

The doctor has referred me to the orthopaedist and marked my case as urgent, however, due to the pandemic, it will take some time before I can be seen.