View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
lyraa Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: lyra

Points: 1,620, Level: 6 Points: 1,620, Level: 6 Points: 1,620, Level: 6

How to talk to my friends about social anxiety - September 5th 2021, 06:06 PM

Last year, after years of struggling with what I thought was 'extreme shyness', I came on here to ask if it was something else. Through kind answers and a lot of research on the internet, I am more or less certain that I have a form of social anxiety or at least experience most of the symptoms of social anxiety.

It took me a year to open up to my mom about it and am yet to tell my dad and siblings. She has often suggested talking to a counsellor and getting professional help but so far I haven't had the confidence to speak to someone. This is why I haven't had an official diagnosis. She has since asked me if I would like to talk first with my closest friend (who I have known 5+ years) in order to make it easier talking to a counsellor. I really want to tell my friend about it as I feel I owe it to her especially as she trusted me enough to come out last year.
The thing that is preventing me from opening up to people is the irrational fear that people will think I am 'faking it' or that I am not anxious enough to be diagnosed with social anxiety. I have always toned down or masked my discomfort in social situations and have never talked to people (except my mom) about how I feel and worry that this will make it seem as though this sudden or new. I fear talking to a counsellor because I feel as though they might tell me that I am worrying too much and that I don't have social anxiety. I really want to overcome this and take the steps towards getting help and have set myself the goal of telling my friend by the end of October in order to get things moving.

I would really appreciate it if people could give tips on how I could talk to her/ their own experiences in talking to friends about their mental health. I would also like to know whether i should do it in person, text her or video call her. She currently lives 6 hours away and the next time I see her will be October.

Thank you,
Lyra