View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Storyteller. Offline
Spite and coffee.

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Charlie
Pronouns: they/them

Points: 106,670, Level: 46 Points: 106,670, Level: 46 Points: 106,670, Level: 46

What kind of representation do you prefer? - May 26th 2022, 07:12 AM

In the past few years it seems that modern media has been making some progress in terms of diversity (although there's still obviously a long way to go), which personally I've loved to see. Growing up I feel like a lot of media played it safe, so being able to turn on the TV or scroll through a streaming site and see such a variety of shows and movies with characters who are queer, disabled, neurodivergent, POC, or otherwise marginalised is something I'm still getting used to, and I really hope the trend continues.

That said, recently I've been veering away from media where those marginalised identities are a focal point. I have enough lived experience that when I want to watch a show or movie it's generally to unwind, so I mostly stick to more casual representation rather than deep dives into it. If given the choice I opt for media where characters just are [x identity] without the show/movie being about that identity. Obviously those identities will still inform the character's personal storylines and have an effect on the plot, but I prefer it when they aren't the main point of the overarching story. So for example a story about a character who's autistic without the story being about autism, or a story with a gay character who has love interests without having a coming out storyline first.

If you had to pick between them, what kind of representation do you prefer? Does it differ between identities or the type of media?

"Love means never having to say
you're a werewolf."