View Single Post
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: Turtles and tortoises - May 29th 2022, 01:41 PM

I have both an aquatic turtle and a tortoise.

My aquatic turtle was a rescue as a hatchling, and he is fully grown now. An aquatic turtle is an investment, as they will need a large tank depending on the species and sex they get. They also need a heater, light fixture and bulbs that are changed twice a year, a place to bask, and a good quality filter. If you go this route, you'll need a large tank and I suggest the vacuums that attach to your sink or bathtub. I am good at buying things at lower prices but even then, it's still a large investment.

He's not bad in terms of maintenance. I do water changes weekly and I give him his calcium supplement afterwards, which he loves. He currently has some retained scutes so I'm upping his vitamins and lightly massaging his shell with a toothbrush. He gets put in a separate, water filled (they need water to push their food through their mouths) bin to eat his pellets, but I put his greens directly into the tank.

A lot of people do get creative with habitats for their turtle, such as a backyard pond or a kiddie pool in a basement but it depends on where you live. Depending on what apartment you're in I would ask someone how much the floor can hold, and keep in mind that filled fish tanks are extremely heavy. Even some empty ones are heavy. Some use large plastic storage containers but I would be nervous about them holding the water weight, and others use pond inserts.

People will get tired of them and sometimes release them into the wild which is not great. That's why the Red-eared Slider is an invasive species in some areas of the US.

If you decide on a turtle, I'd say to choose a species that grows into a smaller size so it will need less space. It's generally 10 us gallons per inch of shell. I'd get everything in advance as well, before the turtle. It is also more of a "look, don't touch" pet than a tortoise is. With that said, mine knows my voice and swims right to me when I enter the room. He enjoys being talked to. I attribute that to his initial condition when I got him.

My tortoise is also a rescue. He is currently small but will grow to be very large. I would make sure you get a species that doesn't get very large, as some (like mine) will eventually need to live outdoors fulltime. Some people have kept those large tortoises inside, but they usually do a lot of damage to their home.

With that said the most expensive thing he needs is his light fixture and bulb that is also changed out every six months. I soak him every few days to help with his humidity and bowel movements. Both turtles and tortoises enjoy eating in the mornings when they're most active. He eats a lot of greens, flowers, sometimes fruit as a treat, some pellets, timothy hay, and he has a cuttlebone (the spine of the fish has to be cut off so he won't choke on it). Sometimes he eats aloe I cut from the leaves or cactus pads. I use cypress mulch bedding. He gets outside time a few times a week if it's nice but since he is small I watch him closely.

He lives in a large plastic container. You can get tortoise tables and whatnot, but I saved money this way and it is easily changeable for when he grows. Tortoises (at least the species I have) generally do not like clear/cloudy walls because they can see the outside and will ram their heads into the walls and cause damage. My container is black because of this.

Some do enjoy being held if you get them used to it and will enjoy sitting with you in time. It's a bit of a process, getting a bond with one and depends on the species. My species tends to enjoy being "pet" or "scratched" on the top of its shell.

If you get a hatchling, just know that hatchling care is often more different than adult care for tortoises.

For a clear comparison I'd say both are beautiful creatures. Aquatic turtles need a large tank and more supplies which can cost more. They tend to be "look don't touch" kind of pets though some people do let them walk around their homes. Tortoises can bond or are more likely to than an aquatic turtle, but it is still possible with an aquatic one. That is all in my experience though. Tortoises can cost less, depending on what you do for their habitat and other needs. Both live a long time. Some tortoises live 80 years or more and are a commitment.

If you have any specific questions or want to talk on Discord let me know. I can send you pictures of my turtles and their setups if you'd like. If you decide to get one, see if you can go with a rescue and get one that has already been rehabilitated.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers