View Single Post
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Storyteller. Offline
Spite and coffee.

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Charlie
Pronouns: they/them

Points: 106,654, Level: 46 Points: 106,654, Level: 46 Points: 106,654, Level: 46

Re: Exercising with chronic pain/mobility issues - July 7th 2022, 08:23 AM

Hey,

I'll start by saying that I don't have EDS or anything similar, so most of my advice will either be secondhand or based on my experience with sporadic nonspecific joint pain.

In general, any kind of low impact exercise is worth a go. Gentle walks like you mentioned are a good starting place, and I'd definitely recommend swimming if you feel like it wouldn't be too panic-inducing. Certain types of yoga or tai chi might also be beneficial as long as you don't overextend yourself. You could look into going to classes so you can talk to an instructor and get some individual advice; from what I've heard a lot of instructors will be more than happy to adjust exercises to better fit the person doing them, which could help you avoid potential injuries.

On that note, if you're not already, I'd encourage you to consider seeing a physiotherapist (preferably someone who has some knowledge of or experience with connective tissue disorders). They'll be able to give tailored advice and help you find the types of exercise that you can do safely. It might also include finding where the threshold is for "good" and "bad" pain. Sometimes pain is a sign that you need to stop, but other times it's something you can work through. Obviously with something like EDS it can be hard to tell where that line is and you need to be careful not to cross it, but if you can figure it out then you can focus on creating an exercise routine that works for you.

Another thing you could do is look into activities recommended for people with more common conditions that have overlapping symptoms, such as arthritis, or for elderly people. You might be able to find more readily available information than you would searching for EDS-specific advice. This could also be a good way to explain what you're looking for to other people, for example if you went to a gym and asked a trainer for some exercises. They may not be familiar with your condition, but might be able to provide some guidance if you ask what they'd recommend for older people or someone recovering from an injury. Those kinds of exercises are likely to be less intense and more suited to your situation.

I hope some of this was helpful, and that you do manage to find an exercise regime that works for you. And if you do, feel free to share it (either here, or potentially in an article or other resource so people with similar issues can benefit from your experience). Best of luck!

"Love means never having to say
you're a werewolf."