(#5 (permalink)) Old
CaptainCastle Offline
Should I call you Captain?
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ry

Points: 13,546, Level: 16 Points: 13,546, Level: 16 Points: 13,546, Level: 16

Re: Exercising with chronic pain/mobility issues - July 7th 2022, 10:36 PM

Hi,

I have hEDS and have been exercising regularly to help with it for 15 years now. I understand how tough it can be at the start when you don't know what to do and you feel like you're not getting anywhere, but you will get somewhere it just takes time.

If it is possible I advise seeing a physio to start you off with some low impact exercises, and also make sure you are exercising safely. As this is even more important where hypermobile joints are concerned. I had weekly physio appointments for the first 10 years and have only been exercising independently for the last 5. I now attend 3 classes every week, but I am still having to modify them to allow for my hypermobility.

I think one of the hardest parts of first trying to get into exercise with chronic pain and fatigue is realising just how low a level you need to start off at to avoid a flare up of symptoms. It is a good idea keep the exercise to low intensity and not too long a period of time to start with. Even with trying not to overdo it I still need some rest days in the week to recover from the exercise.

I hope none of what I've said has put you off in anyway. That wasn't my intention I just know how intimidating it can be to start exercising when you suffer from chronic pain and fatigue, and i hoped my experience could help in some way. If there is any other questions you have I'll do my best to help.

-Ry

PM/VM me anytime

Joined TH 24/06/05