(#6 (permalink)) Old
Stacey Offline
BrokenInsanity circa 2004
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stacey
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 18,927, Level: 19 Points: 18,927, Level: 19 Points: 18,927, Level: 19

Re: Exercising with chronic pain/mobility issues - July 16th 2022, 02:50 AM

I have hypermobility spectrum disorder (HSD) so very similar to EDS as well as POTs, Fibromyalgia and a few other concerns. I have tried just about every type of exercise (that I know I don't hate, lol) and I've had the best results with not aggravating my joints, POTs, etc with the following:
- Swimming/Aquafit. If you have a fear of drowning but are still able to get yourself in a pool, Aquafit may be a good option as much of it is done in the shallower end of the pool and doesn't involve dipping your head under water.
- Biking both stationary and outdoor road biking, though stationary is better for my joints as outdoor biking can be a bit unpredictable in incline, intensity, etc.
- Skating, this one isn't great for a lot of people with EDS but I grew up ice skating, so I've found that being skilled/comfortable skating means I can avoid putting too much impact on my joints. I do occasionally experience some pain with skating but it's not common.
- Yoga & pilates can both be easily modified for EDS/HSD. Check out @hypermobile.yogis on Instagram (they have an amazing book about hypermobility and exercise too!), and jeannie di bon (https://jeanniedibon.com/) I've used Jeannie's youtube videos as well as signed up for access to her program and both were great.
- Ringfit for the Nintendo Switch - so easy to modify!!

Stacey
Original join date: 27th September, 2004.
HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor