View Single Post
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: Learning to drive as a person with disabilities - October 8th 2022, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Making quick decisions is hard for me too.
I feel this on a deep level.

As far as personal stories go, I really struggle with driving. In present day it's because of my C/PTSD and not being present or energized enough to drive.

What helped me the first time around was going slow, so I didn't have to multitask as much. I drove doing 15/20mph in parking lots or small neighborhoods for a few weeks until I was comfortable with that. Then, I moved to roads that were about 35mph and started going through intersections - we have a lot of four way stops where I am, and I also learned to pull into the intersection and wait to make my left at a stoplight. I gradually added in roads with higher speeds, or new locations, or other things that made me anxious like merging. Still does make me nervous.

I'm still having a hard time with it because I had a car accident that was my fault a few years ago. It has been a while and I have mostly processed it - and though I am a good driver, I don't have confidence. I'm currently working towards going out on trips with someone and then driving on my own a little more. I don't know that I ever will be completely confident, but I see a little bit of caution as a good thing for me.

Everyone learns in their own way. Some people get the hang of it easily, and others have to work at it a little more. You might get comfortable driving and then end up having to tweak things later on if you become anxious again. For me, I noticed it is almost like riding a bike now: it's familiar and I know how to do it, but I'm just struggling with other parts of it.

It sounds like your current instructor will be more helpful to you than your other ones which is great!

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.