View Single Post
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: How many therapists did you meet before you found one that worked for you? - January 28th 2023, 03:18 PM

This is over the span of 10+ years.

I saw two in my early teens, but I didn't work well with either one of them. I don't place blame entirely on them, but I was unaware of my issues at the time so they could not help me. One did say some unnecessary things to me, however. We moved shortly afterwards.

#3 has been best for me. I stayed with them for about 18 months before they relocated. I do virtual sessions which thankfully are more accepted now due to the pandemic, but they were not when we originally started them. #3 is long term due to my conditions and what they entail.

I wanted to keep someone in person as well, which is #4. I stayed with them for six or seven years because I didn't want to start again with someone else. During this time, I had met several other therapists in my area (3+) who couldn't take me as a client or who didn't fit. I live in a rural area with a shortage of therapists and medical professionals and an increase in them is very slow. #4 did not take an active role in my treatment. Conversations were very one sided and I needed more involvement than they could provide. It was the stereotypical armchair therapist kind of thing. I cancelled an appointment and did not return.

I currently see #5. This one works very well with me and there are a lot of overall positives - they are an active therapist with a similar belief/treatment system that I like. I find that important. However, it has recently come to light that #5 may not be able to handle the severity of my symptoms and I will likely begin my search again for an in-person therapist within the next few months. I am not yet sure how I want to proceed as I have been with #5 just shy of 18 months and starting yet again is daunting.

So I guess my answer would be 3, but I like to keep a second therapist, so I have an in-person connection as well.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers