Thread: Nightmares
View Single Post
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Storyteller. Offline
Spite and coffee.

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Charlie
Pronouns: they/them

Points: 106,708, Level: 46 Points: 106,708, Level: 46 Points: 106,708, Level: 46

Re: Nightmares - June 5th 2023, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennui. View Post
Nightmares when I nap. The one the other night was the first one I had that was actually at night.
Thank you for the clarification! Honestly, the fact that it happens during naps might actually be part of the problem. I know that when I used to nap more frequently I also had more frequent nightmares, both when I was napping and eventually at night as well. I don't know the exact science behind it but my guess is it's something to do with sleep cycles and how napping too much/at the wrong time/for the wrong amount of time can affect them. The more nightmares you have the worse your sleep cycles get, which leads to stress, which leads to nightmares... you get the point. So, the first thing to look at is (if you can) adjusting your sleep schedule so that you don't nap as often, and get an appropriate amount of sleep at night. Obviously that's easier said than done, but any steps you can take towards getting a good, full night's sleep could potentially help take the edge off the nightmares.

Since nightmares often get worse during times of stress, if you can do anything to reduce your overall stress levels I would highly recommend it.This could include taking action to resolve any practical issues you might have (such as looming deadlines or overdue housework) as well as doing self-care to keep your mental health steady (such as meditation or grounding techniques). If the nightmares have recurring themes or events then that's likely worth unpacking as well, perhaps by journalling about it or discussing it with a mental health professional. Since dreams aren't always straightforward it could also be useful to consider what the nightmares are telling you rather than what's actually happening in them - for example maybe the dreams about seizures could represent the loss of a sense of control, or the sexual dreams might indicate a concern about people crossing boundaries you've set. Dream symbolism can be very subjective so while it can be good to look up existing resources as a starting point, some introspection to understand what your dreams specifically mean (if anything) might be a good idea.

As far as confusion regarding waking vs sleeping goes - are there any senses that you find yourself not noticing in your dreams? I'm guessing you likely see things in your dreams, and probably hear things as well, but do you ever wake up with a strong memory of, say, a scent or a physical sensation? If not, you could implement some relevant grounding techniques so that if you do wake up from a nightmare you can bring yourself back to full wakefulness and awareness quickly, and potentially even help your dream-self determine when you're dreaming. For example I sometimes use essential oils during my pre-sleep routine, and if I wake up during the night and feel disoriented I can use them again. Since I don't often have strong olfactory sensations during dreams, that helps remind me that I'm awake. It can take some trial and error to figure out what works for you, so don't be afraid to try a few things out.

Finally, and this might seem counterintuitive, in some cases it can actually help to seek out content that unsettles you or makes you uncomfortable. I've found that sometimes setting aside time to deliberately feel scared or stressed (for example by watching a horror movie or playing an intense video game) can help me feel more relaxed overall because I can get it all out of my system at once, and then I'll sleep better because my already-overactive mind has already tired itself out. It's probably not a good idea to do this right before you go to sleep, but regularly (and safely) purging all those negative emotions can be beneficial in the long run. Just be careful with your limits and triggers so that you don't end up pushing yourself too far.

I hope some of the above is helpful, and as with any issue definitely reach out for professional help if you're in a position to do so (and feel that you need it). Good quality sleep is vital for proper functioning, so nightmares can be incredibly disruptive to everyday life. It's usually better to tackle them head-on and as pro-actively as you can to avoid the situation snowballing. Feel free to reach out any time if you need!

"Love means never having to say
you're a werewolf."