View Single Post
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

I can't get enough

Name: Sam
Pronouns: she/her

Points: 40,806, Level: 29 Points: 40,806, Level: 29 Points: 40,806, Level: 29

Re: It's only been about a week and I already hate my job - July 5th 2023, 04:09 PM

Hey there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at TeenHelp.

You definitely don't sound whiny! First jobs can be stressful and can sometimes come with a bigger-than-anticipated learning curve. I also know from personal experience that customer service jobs, such as retail and fast food, can feel even more stressful to learn because of how fast-paced the environment is. You're essentially learning as you're doing, rather than learning and having the opportunity to go back and fix your mistakes.

You mentioned that at least one of your managers and several of your coworkers are nice. Would it be possible for you to talk to one of them about some of the struggles that you're having? Perhaps a manager can schedule additional training opportunities for you. Or, a coworker might be able to give you some tips and insight into things that have helped them be better at their job, both in the drive-thru and in other areas throughout the restaurant.

I'm sorry to hear that your parents didn't offer much support when you told them how you were feeling about the job. As Hollie said, it may very well be a generational thing. I know my father has very similar views to those that your parents expressed. Just about every time I've complained about a job (no matter how big or small the complaint), he has told me to just "suck it up and do my job". It can be discouraging to hear, but it really is just a sign of the times.

Above all else, please give yourself grace as you learn this new job! You've only been there for a week and mistakes are part of the learning process. Continue to ask questions, give your best effort, and seek clarification on anything that you're unsure about. I'm sure you'll get the hang of things soon!

Take care,
Sam

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie