View Single Post
  (#27 (permalink)) Old
InSovietRussiaORGASMGotU Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 14,869, Level: 17 Points: 14,869, Level: 17 Points: 14,869, Level: 17

Re: Religion in Schools - May 20th 2009, 09:47 PM

The teacher sending a kid to the principle for saying "jesus christ" I find to be hilarious due to the utter stupidity of it. Getting in trouble over saying shit, fuck, asshole, etc... I can understand. To me, if you get in trouble over saying "hell", then you should get in trouble over saying "heaven", after all, it's only fair. But that is not always the case. Why? People are over-sensitive, very biased and if they don't punish the student for saying words with religious figures in it, someone is bound to get angry about that and start up a big fuss. Punish the kid, set an example for others not to say the religious words. But, then teaching religious class makes it all a big joke: in this hour [or however long the class is], we can say hell all we want but outside of this magical hour, we cannot.

Some countries, such as Canada, does have a law about standing up during the anthem, or if you're crippled, you sit up straight or do your best to. I'm not sure about American laws on this though. So, a school in Canada presumably is going to obey Canadian federal laws and thus, you stand. Getting suspended over it should occur only if you refuse to stand repeatedly without a valid reason (i.e. broken legs) or you do something offensive during the time to stand. At my high school, singing wasn't required, however, standing was. During assembly, it was deemed nice to sing so some people sometimes sung.

I have no problem with religion being taught in schools. HOWEVER, they shouldn't focus on only a few beliefs. They should focus on as many as possible, giving each and equal amount of time in the course. Going back to getting in trouble over saying "jesus christ" when not in that magical hour of that magical room of that magical class is hilarious and bullshit. If you get in trouble over saying "jesus christ", then you should also get in trouble over saying "Vishnu", "Satan", etc... . Since that probably doesn't happen, then the teachers should cut their biased nonsense and live with it.