(#34 (permalink)) Old
vee_vee Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Verena

Points: 9,709, Level: 14 Points: 9,709, Level: 14 Points: 9,709, Level: 14

Re: Religion in Schools - May 21st 2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElfPunk View Post
So even though church and school are suppose to be separate, public schools at least, I find that it really isn't. I mean, we say the pledge, and that I can deal with since it's one word. But then I have teachers that get pissed off enough to send you to the office for saying something like "goddamn" or "oh my god" or even "jesus christ" because they were offended.
Then there's the teachers that say they aren't pushing anything on anyone, but then go on to talk about religion. As if those words are magic. I've had tons of teachers in class try to think of examples for things and so often it starts with "everyone knows the story of [insert something from the bible here]" and they go on to use it as an example...and I get so lost seeing as I have never read the bible, nor am Christian. I'm agnostic, and I really can't stand when teachers use examples like that, the only time I really didn't mind too much was when we read stuff that actually had to do with a very religious time period and the work pertained to the religious stuff in a not so religious way.

Anyone else have an opinion on this?
although it is true that teachers shouldn't assume that you know all these stories and what not, i do think you are a little to sensitive. you're offended that teachers assume that you know stories from the bible, don't you think they are equally allowed to be offended by you taking the name of the one they call Lord in vain as well?
I'm just saying you take it personal being a student, but just because they are teachers doesn't mean they aren't allowed to take things on a personal level as well. They don't have to be completely professional about everything, they're allowed to have feelings just as you are.