MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Points: 48,277, Level: 31 Points: 48,277, Level: 31 Points: 48,277, Level: 31

Re: Religion in Schools - May 21st 2009, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElfPunk View Post
I'm not saying they shouldn't get offended, what I'm saying is that they shouldn't send you to the office/dean and get you IN TROUBLE for saying something that has become part of today's slang.
Yet if a kid was punished for saying "fuck" or "damn" or "shit" or anything like that, no one would have any issues with it. Could it possibly be that the kid got in trouble for generally swearing, not because he used God's name in vain? We don't know the exact reasoning behind the teachers or principals actions, so therefore we can't assume that the kid had gotten in trouble because he used God's name in vain. I respect your opinion, and am not going to call you overly sensitive, but as far as I'm concerned, getting worked up over something as simple as a kid getting in trouble for saying "god dammit" (especially when in fact it could have been merely because he was using rude language, regardless of the fact that it involved God's name) is just as bad as punishing someone for using God's name in vain in a public school. The people who have a problem with saying the pledge of allegiance in schools are just as wrong as those who emphasize that the pledge of allegiance professes thanks to God to a group of possible atheists. There's basically two sides to the disagreement, and neither side is more correct or right than the other side. I find it ridiculous that some people insist on pulling out the "I'm an atheist, you offend me by talking to me about God" card. I'm not saying that all atheists/agnostics/whatever else do this, but not all Christians are out to get those who do not believe in God, and it's tiring to constantly hear about the "poor atheists and agnostics" (no offense whatsoever to atheists or agnostics). Not everyone is out to make atheists feel like shit because of what they believe.

And that's my opinion, not my opinion on your opinion

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

Last edited by MadPoet; May 21st 2009 at 11:31 PM.