View Single Post
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
InSovietRussiaORGASMGotU Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 14,869, Level: 17 Points: 14,869, Level: 17 Points: 14,869, Level: 17

Re: The less-homework revolution? - January 13th 2009, 11:00 PM

Ignoring the fact that highschoolers would be responding to this (and some out of highschool), making it biased, there still should be homework. I study several hours each day for university and in highschool also studied for several hours.

You need the homework to learn the material and because the teachers aren't in the homes with you to teach you there. If the teacher assigns you homework meant to take, say, 45 minutes but that ends up taking you 2 hours, that's your problem. Work harder, differently, etc... .

I just see this is a way for highschool students to complain about the amount of work in order to get away with less and less. In Canada, they've now said late homework is NOT to be penalized, meaning screw deadlines, they don't matter. Now, you also want less work? I'm not sure if the no penalizations are in other countries, however, I know for certain it is in Canada.

Face it, the education system has already gotten easier. For one, we have the internet and the magical friend, Google. There's also more policies and complaints about homework so it's already reduced.

If it is reduced for them even more, then when they come to university or college, it's not going to be a punch in the face, it's going to be a metal boot punting your head. At least with more homework, you get to build up time management and in university, no professors hold your hand through it. If this whole less homework stuff keeps going, then first year university or college better be a hell of a lot easier or else, you're going to be in a nice surprise.

Get off MSN, facebook, myspace and whatever other crap there is, sit down, focus and you'll have fewer hours. None of this 9-10 hour stuff. If you're doing extra things, like sports or jobs, don't complain about the homework. Those extra things are your own doing that you've brought upon yourself.