View Single Post
  (#35 (permalink)) Old
InSovietRussiaORGASMGotU Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 14,869, Level: 17 Points: 14,869, Level: 17 Points: 14,869, Level: 17

Re: The less-homework revolution? - January 14th 2009, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khadra View Post
How do you know the students and the parents would complain?

In the courses I've taken where the teachers did not assign homework the tests were fairly difficult but people didn't complain all that much.

You made a good point about the re-tests. I still think people should be allowed at least one re-test or to postpone the date of their test.

I don't actually think they should have a course teaching responsibilty. My point was that keeping the policy of handing in homework on time to teach good work habits is not a good one. School is not for that, so your grades shouldn't be dependent on that.
I know that because that is exactly what happened in my highschool, and there's plenty of news articles around of tests being too hard.

I still disagree on the re-testing unless your ill/arrested/something else. If you didn't study enough, that's your problem.

The problem with the responsibility is that if you don't hand work in on time, you can use all that extra time to keep working on it and inflate the marks, so whatever the grade is, it won't be reflective. The exception to this would be if the teacher goes and assigns a paper due at the end of term just before the exams. However, the penalty for lateness would be a fail unless you have a medical note, police report, etc... .

If the grades are not to be dependent on the assignments being handed in on time, meaning people can hand it in whenever they please, what do you think of the marking criteria or bonus points for handing it in on the due date? It'd be incentive to hand it in on time OR take extra time but get it marked harder.