(#181 (permalink)) Old
Jack Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jack

Points: 17,299, Level: 19 Points: 17,299, Level: 19 Points: 17,299, Level: 19

Re: Abortion is wrong. - June 5th 2009, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
Go ahead, do a study asking whether any adoptee or orphan would agree with the quote: "it would be kinder in some situations to abort the child than to put the child up for adoption" and see what kind of results you'd get. That's not asking what they think women should do about abortion, that's asking if they'd rather be aborted and see it as kinder if they were aborted. You'd see more disturbed reactions than anything else.
Yes, but that is hardly the first time in this debate you've claimed to have a more valid opinion because you are adopted.

Quote:
As for your second part, man I only know the studies and what I've read and what's done to me on a PRIMAL emotional level, that I don't even understand... thus, the identity crises.
Then perhaps you could share those studies?

Quote:
I have no idea why I feel this way towards a mother and father I haven't even seen or met, I inherently just do. It's like asking why do people love? Why do people become afraid? Why do people hate? They just do.
Since when do they "just do". People have done studies on those things and found at least several plausible reasons for them. Freud did studies on phoibias and Dr Helen Fisher has done several studies on love to name just two. To say they "just do" is a cop-out.

Quote:
That's the confusing part. You feel something, but you don't know why you feel it this strong because you've never met them other than those nine months. So, in effect, something has got to happen and more and more research is showing that there is a type of bonding that does go on which does explain it. I don't remember it, but that's the only logic my brain can see as the best possibility.
Well Bowlby (1951) put forward the view that the the special bond forms with the mother in the 6 months after birth, not in the womb. And Hodges and Tizard in "Social and Family Relationships of Ex-Insitiutional Adolescents" came to the conclusion that adopted kids have a much better relationship with their adopted parents than kids who had been restored to their biological parents after a period in foster care during early childhood. To me it seems that the bond with a biological parent in the womb is just wishful thinking based on insecurities centred around being adopted, however I don't claim to know everything. But I do wish that you would share the studies you keep talking about so I could read them myself.