(#247 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Points: 18,584, Level: 19 Points: 18,584, Level: 19 Points: 18,584, Level: 19

Re: Abortion is wrong. - June 6th 2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
You also have to understand, such comments (directed in general)

> Abortion is kinder on children than adoption
> Adoption would cause too much trauma for the child, it's better to abort (although edited, somebody more or less said I was better off dead yesterday without realizing it)

Etc. That have been going around this thread, by nonadoptees mind you - I do have a right to speak out against that kind of thinking as do all adoptees.

As in the case of what may be best for the mother, THAT'S open to debate - but what's "kinder" and "best" for the child being abortion over adoption? Which has been stated or I've misread some - then, yeah, I'd say adoptees & orphans definitely would have more of a say because we've lived through an experience others are trying to judge without experience.

That's like me telling a kid who's father ran away that he should be be dead right now because that would be too hard for him. That's as logical as anything else I've heard sounds. Or better example yet saying it's the better choice for any minority group - whether it be be race, sexual preference or culture.

Once again, what's best for the mother is open to debate, but when people start sayings as "abortion is kinder for the child than adoption" - that brings us into the equation. (note that this post is generalized)
This is exactly where we keep butting heads, where you keep butting heads with all the pro-choicers. You see I still don't believe that you have a stronger connection to the abortion debate because you're an adoptee and I know why now. When I look at the abortion debate all I see is the mother, the woman's rights, because she is the real live person in this situation, the embryo/fetus is not a person has not contributed anything to this world yet so I see it's rights as significantly less than the mother's.

When we were debating this topic in my philosophy class earlier in the year one of the readings gave this argument (I'm paraphrasing) "Many pro-choicers say that since that fetus is not a person it's okay to terminate it. However person or not the fetus is a living thing and it's not always okay to kill living things, such as some animals." However I say that would you really sacrifice the life of a person for an animal, they are not equal.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin