View Single Post
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
WhySoSerious? Offline
Mute Poet
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Vicki

Points: 13,107, Level: 16 Points: 13,107, Level: 16 Points: 13,107, Level: 16

Re: 17 year-old boy charged with statutory rape. 17 year-old girl charged with less - June 13th 2009, 06:54 AM

*sigh* this whole thing seems stupid to me. That's the same age gap me and my boyfriend had when we met, I don't see the problem with age differences in having sex? Unless the person is like 10 years older or something.

I agree with Zack, why the hell are they wasting the time sticking their noses into the sex lives of two consenting teens (even if they're underage) when they could be dealing with real offenders? If they want to arrest someone, try a 50 year old who rapes a 12 year old.

In response to the question of the thread, it does seem a bit unfair that the boy was treated so harshly compared to the girl. Especially as I find a girl dating a younger guy much more concerning, because most girls date older guys because of maturity... a 14 year old girl is much more mature than a 14 year old boy, so a 17 year old girl would seem more like a case for statutory rape if you were to file one.

Either way, the punishment is too severe. But I would think if anything, in this situation, the 17 year old girl should have gotten the stronger sentencing than the guy.

(P.S: was anyone else kind of alarmed by the mention of 11/12 year olds having sex? :S)

~Where death is I am not, where I am death is not, so we never meet~

I'd rather die terrified

than live forever.
We will all die so gloriously, that having ever lived will seem like folly.
-Asofterworld