View Single Post
  (#88 (permalink)) Old
ATP787 Offline
Average Joe

Points: 10,911, Level: 15 Points: 10,911, Level: 15 Points: 10,911, Level: 15

Re: what is so wrong about gay marriage??? - June 14th 2009, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
It has a negative effect on me, as for America...I'm not to judge because I only resemble one individual in the whole entire US population. Where's the evidence to support that gay marriage won't have a negative effect on America?
You don't want gay marriage legalized in all 50 states. What possible negative effect on you could gay marriage have that warrants the denying of basic civil rights, such as being married in the eye of the state?

There is no evidence to suggest it does have a negative effect. You don't see society falling a part in the 4 states that have gay marriage legalized, do you? This is precisely what white supremacists said about black people being in the military decades ago; they would have a negative effect and destroy the U.S. armed forces. Decades later, guess what. Black people are in the military, and the U.S. military is still the strongest worldwide. Imagine that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
I don't want gay marriage to be legalized in all the states, you're right. I don't want gay marriage to be legalized in all the states, but that doesn't mean that if ALL the states were legalized...I'd live somewhere else and totally disrespect gay couples by trying to strip them of their legal benefits that come with marriage. I'm not saying that at all. If the general population vote on allowing gay marriage in all of the 50 states, then I say so be it. I'll accept the fact and move on even though I disagree with gay marriage. Just because I disagree with something, doesn't mean I disrespect them. So if gay marriage became legalized, then I expect the same benefits that straight couples get.
This is completely irrelevant. This is about legalizing gay marriage, not your reaction to it if it were to become legalized.

You're referring to the aftermath of legalization. We need to legalize it first, and you're against that.