View Single Post
  (#90 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Points: 30,381, Level: 25 Points: 30,381, Level: 25 Points: 30,381, Level: 25

Re: what is so wrong about gay marriage??? - June 14th 2009, 02:19 AM

Quote:
You don't want gay marriage legalized in all 50 states. What possible negative effect on you could gay marriage have that warrants the denying of basic civil rights, such as being married in the eye of the state?
As I've said before, I have no reason for being against gay marriage. I just am. The only negative effect that I can think of off the spot is just the fact that I'm living in a world where gay marriage is legalized. That's it. So I'll just say that it's only slightly negative, and more towards neutral if gay marriage was legalized. It's only negative to me because I disagree with it. I have no personal story...just absolutely no reason why I disagree with legalization of gay marriage, but perhaps we all believe in something without having reason to believe.

The way I see it, the traditional marriage is between a man and woman. That's how it's been for a very long time, and that's how I see it. I don't see it as denying of basic civil rights because I don't think that homosexuality wasn't as widely accepted as it is now. I don't think the government purposely tried to deny homosexuals their civil rights -- it just wasn't an acceptable thing back then. Now that society is bringing homosexuality into focus, the whole civil rights, eye of the church, thing is becoming an issue. I don't think homosexuals should be denied civil rights just because they are homosexuals. At the same time, I don't want America, as a whole, to legalize gay marriage, but only a select few states. I think that, like immigrants from another country, there should be a much more complicated process to become a true homosexual couple in America. That's just the way I see it.

Quote:
You don't see society falling a part in the 4 states that have gay marriage legalized, do you?
No, that's because the majority of people voted to legalize gay marriage. There isn't gonna be a big problem when most people agree on the same subject. However, if a gay couple go somewhere else where the majority of people don't accept gay marriage, then THAT might be a problem. I can't tell the future, so I don't actually know what will happen until it actually happens.

Quote:
This is precisely what white supremacists said about black people being in the military decades ago; they would have a negative effect and destroy the U.S. armed forces. Decades later, guess what. Black people are in the military, and the U.S. military is still the strongest worldwide. Imagine that.
Good point.

Quote:
This is completely irrelevant. This is about legalizing gay marriage, not your reaction to it if it were to become legalized.

You're referring to the aftermath of legalization. We need to legalize it first, and you're against that.
It is completely irrelevant, but you were getting things mixed up and thinking I was saying one thing, while I was saying another. I was only defending myself.