View Single Post
  (#92 (permalink)) Old
ATP787 Offline
Average Joe

Points: 10,911, Level: 15 Points: 10,911, Level: 15 Points: 10,911, Level: 15

Re: what is so wrong about gay marriage??? - June 14th 2009, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
As I've said before, I have no reason for being against gay marriage. I just am. The only negative effect that I can think of off the spot is just the fact that I'm living in a world where gay marriage is legalized. That's it. So I'll just say that it's only slightly negative, and more towards neutral if gay marriage was legalized. It's only negative to me because I disagree with it. I have no personal story...just absolutely no reason why I disagree with legalization of gay marriage, but perhaps we all believe in something without having reason to believe.
So basically, you're forcing your opinion onto others?
Quote:
The way I see it, the traditional marriage is between a man and woman. That's how it's been for a very long time, and that's how I see it.
Slavery was the status quo for a very long time. Just because something has been around for decades doesn't make it right.

Religious marriage may be between a man and women; that's up to the church. From a legal standpoint, sex shouldn't matter.
Quote:
I don't see it as denying of basic civil rights because I don't think that homosexuality wasn't as widely accepted as it is now. I don't think the government purposely tried to deny homosexuals their civil rights -- it just wasn't an acceptable thing back then. Now that society is bringing homosexuality into focus, the whole civil rights, eye of the church, thing is becoming an issue. I don't think homosexuals should be denied civil rights just because they are homosexuals. At the same time, I don't want America, as a whole, to legalize gay marriage, but only a select few states. I think that, like immigrants from another country, there should be a much more complicated process to become a true homosexual couple in America. That's just the way I see it.
You're contradicting yourself. Why would you allow homosexuality in a few states, and not in others? You either agree with it, or you don't.
Quote:
No, that's because the majority of people voted to legalize gay marriage. There isn't gonna be a big problem when most people agree on the same subject. However, if a gay couple go somewhere else where the majority of people don't accept gay marriage, then THAT might be a problem. I can't tell the future, so I don't actually know what will happen until it actually happens.
Put yourself back in the 1950's. Would you agree with the Supreme Court decision involved in Brown v. Board of Education?
Quote:
It is completely irrelevant, but you were getting things mixed up and thinking I was saying one thing, while I was saying another. I was only defending myself.
Only, your reaction to a national legalization of gay marriage is irrelevant. The point is, you don't want it to happen to begin with.