TheKnight Offline
TheKnight
Average Joe

Name: Daniel

Points: 10,107, Level: 14 Points: 10,107, Level: 14 Points: 10,107, Level: 14

Re: Religion or Science... Why not Both? - June 15th 2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAlive View Post
I've noticed that quite a few people on the board struggle with faith, or are atheists, because they see science and religion as two warring forces that can't co-exist.

As a Catholic who was raised to believe in evolutionism, and science AS WELL as Faith in God, I don't understand why this is such a hang-up for people.

Any opinions are welcome.
I think the problem is that people are unwilling to live with unresolved problem. The biggest problem, on both sides, is the lack of willingness to study and actually learn. Biased scientists refuse to learn about religion, biased religionists refuse to learn about science.

For one, science rarely contradicts religion.
For two, religion isn't about historical accuracy. As a believer in Judaism, I can recognize that the purpose of the Bible (while it does offer accurate history IMO) is not to be a history book, but a book of ethics. It's a book on how to live your day to day life by offering examples and stories from the history of the Jewish people.

Also, what many must realize is that science is not absolute. Science, though trustworthy, is not an end all be all to everything. One must realize that science does get things wrong sometimes and there have been times when new theories arise that abolish old ones.

Ultimately, we have to use our judgment. The fact that science appears to contradict a certain religious teaching doesn't mean a person should give up religion completely. It simply means that person must adapt in such a way that the two co-exist peacefully. And, if there is an actual contradiction, that's fine too. The fact that two things contradict one another doesn't mean that either one or the other is false. It simply means that our understanding doesn't offer us the clarity to decide whether one is more true then the other.

I swear never to be silent whenever wherever human beings are enduring suffering and humiliation. We must take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Sometimes we must interfere. When human lives are endangered, when human dignity is in jeopardy, national borders and sensitivities become irrelevant. Wherever men and women are persecuted because of their race, religion, or political views, that place must — at that moment — become the center of the universe.

-Elie Wiesel

Jewish Resources:
AskMoses
JLaw
JewFaq
Aish
CHaBaD
AskNoah
CounterMissionary Lecture Series
Anti-Missionary Handbook
The Real Messiah
Kabbalah