View Single Post
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
PhoenixAlive Offline
Mizu-Kun (Saito)'s Spouse
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Points: 13,011, Level: 16 Points: 13,011, Level: 16 Points: 13,011, Level: 16

Re: Man gets 1 year in prison for rape of 4 year old girl - June 16th 2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizabella View Post
He's a convicted sex offender. I haven't looked it up to verify, but aren't there laws in the states that wherever he goes he has to make it known to authorities, and has to inform people when he moves into a neighbourhood? That seems like a large constraint that will be good at protecting the public.
I just checked this out and I found that it depends on whether the legal forces determine that he has a high risk to re-offend.

Here's how it works:

Level I. Low risk to re-offend within the community at large. Information shall be shared with other law enforcement agencies and, upon request, the Sheriff may disclose relevant, necessary and accurate information to any victim or witness to the offense and to any individual community member who lives near the residence where the offender resides, expects to reside, or is regularly found. Level I offenders MAY NOT be the subject of general public Notification.
Level II. Moderate risk to re-offend within the community at large. Relevant, necessary and accurate information concerning risk Level II offenders may be disclosed to public and private schools, child day care centers, family day care providers, businesses and organizations that serve primarily children, women or vulnerable adults, and neighbors and community groups near the residence where the offender resides, expects to reside, or is regularly found. Level II offenders MAY NOT be the subject of general public Notification.
Level III. High risk to re-offend within the community at large. Relevant, accurate and necessary information concerning offenders classified as risk Level III may be disclosed to the public at large.

Community Protection Act

So we don't actually know what level he has been labeled as. I find this worrisome.