PhoenixAlive Offline
Mizu-Kun (Saito)'s Spouse
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Points: 13,011, Level: 16 Points: 13,011, Level: 16 Points: 13,011, Level: 16

Re: what is so wrong about gay marriage??? - June 19th 2009, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickguy55 View Post
Many people I debate this topic (and other topics) with have a warped view on history and on how things should be, such as the person who claimed "priests should be forced to marry gays".
Because several people seem so taken aback by the statement that I made a while back that was pretty much summed up in the bolded part of slickguy's post, I feel that I should explain where I was coming from.

I am a straight Catholic, however if I were gay, I would still feel that I need to have my wedding in my community's Catholic Church. Because I believe in marriage as a holy sacrament, I could never be satisfied with a court wedding as I would not feel that the marriage is consecrated. It just would not be a marriage to me.

I am sure there are many religious people who are also gay. If same-sex marriage IS legalized where they live, they should be allowed to marry however their beliefs deem the right way.

And yes, I know the Constitution and the Charter of Rights and Freedoms demands freedom of religion. But I believe that not allowing someone who is religious to get married in the way their religion dictates is appropriate just because they are gay is also a breach of this freedom.

I'm sorry if that doesn't make sense, but that's how I feel.