View Single Post
  (#216 (permalink)) Old
slickguy55 Offline
Average Joe

Points: 9,800, Level: 14 Points: 9,800, Level: 14 Points: 9,800, Level: 14

Re: what is so wrong about gay marriage??? - June 20th 2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizabella View Post
For the billionth time, Christians are not expected to change their beliefs. We are talking about secular marriage, which has nothing to do with christians. What part of this confuses you? Court houses would be allowed to marry same sex couples, and churches would be allowed to continue rejecting them.
Well you failed to address my point I posted earlier on the previous page, it answers you question.

"Who is THEY? Some people have argued that they DO want to do that (change the church), even on here. So probably a lot more people want to change the church than you believe/ want to believe. It is obvious that you are not speaking for the whole movement, and there are parts of the movement that are more threatening to the church that you do not speak for."

Again, you don't speak for the whole movement when you say "they don't want to change the church". I'm sure there are probably plenty of gays who don't want that to happen. But the politicians, the ones IN CHARGE of the movement, do want this to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizabella View Post
Alright, let me try to understand your logic. If the majority of people believe a certain minority should have certain rights restricted, that is perfectly acceptable. Screw you minority, majority has spoken. Let me offer this similar scenario:

A group of people sincerely believe Christianity should be banned. They think it's a horribly outdated religion and that its insistence on imposing its beliefs into secular law needs to be curbed. They put it to a referendum, and the majority votes in favour. Christians religion will only be allowed within the home and within approved church buildings. Mention of religion in any other place is unlawful.

They have the right to vote for this, yeah? The supporters sincerely believe Christians shouldn't practice their beliefs, and Christians have no right to tell them to vote otherwise. Because that would be violating the rights of the anti-Christian supporters to believe whatever they want to.

I have the right to think Christianity should be banned, I have the right to think whatever I want about Christianity - are you honestly going to argue that I have the right to pass a law about it? I'm guessing you would object to an anti-Christian law, so why should Christians be able to vote to restrict the rights of homosexuals?
You are WAY off base with your ridiculous hypothetical situations. Freedom of religion is CLEARLY allowed to the people by the Bill of Rights. The right to be homosexual is also in the bill of rights, but it does not ensure them the right to get married in the bill of rights. Since their right to marry is not in the bill of rights, then there has to be a separate law to ensure that, and separate laws are up to the people.

Last edited by slickguy55; June 20th 2009 at 07:19 AM. Reason: Multiple posts have been merged automatically.