View Single Post
  (#35 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Points: 22,302, Level: 21 Points: 22,302, Level: 21 Points: 22,302, Level: 21

Re: Can you look at religion scientifically, and still believe God exists? - July 23rd 2009, 11:53 PM

Speaking only for myself here, but I don't take part in these debates to mock anyone; if I were so inclined, the internet is full of much easier targets. I take part because I find them genuinely interesting. I enjoy being tasked to contemplate my beliefs, to consider questions of morality, and to then communicate what I've thought. I enjoy anything that forces me to think seriously about serious topics. I certainly learn from these, and I hope I manage to inspire a little learning as well.

As for disregarding the bible, I admit to generally doing so, but not for the reasons you've inferred. When I'm debating, I want to know what you think, and for you to respond to what I've said. That's the intent behind my debating; so we can both learn something. When you - and I mean a general you, not you specifically Nic - instead simply parrot quotes from the bible that I've heard several times already, neither of us learns anything, and that gets frustrating.

As an atheist though, one of the more frustrating things about religion is the air of untouchability that some people give it. I don't mean any offense to anyone by questioning their religion, but part of my beliefs are that we as humans should question everything. In my eyes, that's the only way we learn. I don't normally speak as forcefully or as forwardly on the matter as I do here, but once someone's joined the debate I generally consider it fair game. I do apologize if I've offended anyone, but I don't apologize for my beliefs any more than you do; and neither of us should have to.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.