View Single Post
  (#44 (permalink)) Old
InSovietRussiaORGASMGotU Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 14,869, Level: 17 Points: 14,869, Level: 17 Points: 14,869, Level: 17

Re: Can you look at religion scientifically, and still believe God exists? - July 24th 2009, 05:01 AM

Just to clarify, this is a double post because not all of it could fit in one post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onion
Like I said this is my last post, if you have further questions, PM me. I do not wish to cause a huge flame on the forums. Even if you wish to rebule this post. Just PM me, and I will respond. I hope you all find favor with God.
Seeing as how you reposted in this thread, there's no need to PM you over it. I PM people when I have a personal issue with the person. I have no personal issue with you so I'm not going to be PMing you. Instead, if you have a personal problem with me, you can PM me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoni View Post
Why must a few of us more radical Christians constantly get stuck answering your questions?
Oh please, and atheists and agnostics don't get questioned from Christians and other believers?

Quote:
We answer them, you do not take them. Why do you bother asking?
The same can be said for members of your side.

Quote:
Sure, if the answers raise questions, we'll answer them, but when we pour our hearts into an answer for you, addressing everything you can think of, and still say, "I don't believe you" when we answered, in truth, it feels exasperating. We've done all we can and more, through the word of God, through the Holy Spirit, we're all trying to answer you here.
Because we differ in our paradigms that we follow simple as that.

Quote:
Honestly it's making quite a few people feel used on here. We answer, and answer, we find our comfort in God after but you seem to only mock us and the Bible.
There is a reason for that. You support your side by quoting a book that has very little reliability and validity. In fact, that same book happens to say that is was made by the person whom your view is centered around, in other words, your book commits logical fallacies such as circular reasoning, bare assertion fallacy, etc... .

If you use biblical quotes to support your side then you continue to commit these and possibly other logical fallacies. That is why myself in particular have a hard time with your answers. If you answer them without spitting biblical verse after biblical verse after biblical verse and if you answer without referring to the bible, then I can actually hear your view. I'm interested in your view, I'm not interested in your ability to quote verses to me. The more you are able to do that, then the more I and many other atheists like it. But spitting biblical verses just commits those logical fallacies and your argument is laughable.

Quote:
I know there are some of you, I'm not going to say names, but some of you go through these debates either to laugh at us or mock us. That is definitely not respectful, especially when we are answering all your questions out of a selfless love! We don't mind the time it takes, the sore fingers and wrists we may get, we stick to here and answer you, in all the truth we can know.
Oh please, don't cry that your wrists hurt. I'm typing a long post here, what do you think my wrists are feeling right now?

Quote:
Yet none of it has ever affected your beliefs or views. I constantly think about everyone here, why you even ask... but I know there is a reason I cannot fathom, so I leave it to be and pray, and we all continue to answer you all, in selfless love, no matter if we're mocked or laughed at.
Makes you wonder if there's really something to what we say, when we do all this, no matter what.
Yes, yes, yes, you answer us but don't play the pity card. We answer you to and what happens, you reject what we say (refer to Onion's posts). The pity card applies to both parties.

Quote:
I guess I'm just asking for a bit more respect. When one of you asks a question regarding God, Christianity, or God's views, and we answer you with the Bible's words, which is the Word of God, there should be no further question on the subject. If you are talking of our God, the Bible is His word to us. It's our little book of answers if we choose to use it that way. Instead you choose to say, "I don't count the Bible, so tell me what God really thinks." How do you think we know of God? Through prayer and the bible, and since none of you will trust the Voice of God that we hear within our own hearts, we can only show you the bible.
And that will lead to a long list of logical fallacies. If you can answer still within your religious beliefs but just put the bible aside, don't quote it endlessly, give your answers not the bible's answers, then you'll find many people are more accepting. But the moment you said "according to passage...." then instantly the logical fallacies begin piling up.

Quote:
We gave you what you asked for. We showed you what is, in a way, God's journal. There is no better way to know His opinion on a subject other than talking with Him. If you discount the Bible, then why are you even asking of God's opinion? It is said in Revelation 22, the very end, "I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book, and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book.". You have all heard portions of it, yet you deny it with no different thinking.
Many people here aren't asking for God's opinion. In fact this whole thread is about the individual users' opinions, nothing about god's opinions. So why you then begin to include god's opinions is beyond me. They're irrelevant, they're not part of the debate yet you then include them and wonder why they become discredited so fast. Give your opinion without quoting the bible every other sentence, that's all that's asked for.

Quote:
So sum it all up quickly...
Yes, in ways, you can believe in God while looking at religion scientifically. But only if you take the word of God and apply it to the scientific findings you see.
Excellent, then you've managed to distort both the religion and science.

Quote:
Remember God is unfathomable to us, and we know so little of science to begin with. God has given us all we need to know about Him through a book. Where is science getting you? At knowing 0.000000001% of everything, we can still know God a whole lot more than that. Science can lead some people there. Science can lead others away. It all depends on how you look at it.
If humans though no so little, then I question you, how can you then know that your religion is the truth? As onion said, humans know so very very little yet despite that, you seem to be very dedicated in your belief. If we know so little of everything, then how can you say that your belief is the truth, that it is the right way?