View Single Post
  (#61 (permalink)) Old
Noctis Offline
Scary Sharp
Average Joe

Points: 10,429, Level: 14 Points: 10,429, Level: 14 Points: 10,429, Level: 14

Re: Can you look at religion scientifically, and still believe God exists? - July 24th 2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onion View Post
Re-read the statement, people know 1 billionth of everything. Not 1 person.
Watch the video's it'll provide proof for a 6-10K creation.
Again, I said that science cannot prove the God of the Bible, only Faith can do this. But Science can prove a creator.
The thing is, I am valuing my time here on earth. I love living for God, more so then I did when I was living for myself.
First, I would like to impress on you just how much of "everything" there is:

The earth is big yes? I think everyone could agree with me after a nice world tour(which would take several months to visit all the nice vacation spots and attractions like the Grand Canyon and Mt. Everest).

Well about a million earths could fit inside the sun, making it very large indeed. There are roughly 400 billion stars in a single galaxy, and there are 80 billion galaxies in the observable universe.

That is the extent of all there is to "know". Even one billionth of a percent is quite an accomplishment. You'd think that throwing a rocket into space would make you a tad more appreciative of science.

Quote:
Again the Bible says God allowed for this Wisdom to occur, everything evil is a result of sin, again watch the video and you will see as a nation that drifts from God, these issue rise. It seems as if you are imposing God is the cause of genocides, and suffering. If you believe this then your generally basis and knowledge of God is far to little to even argue in this aspect of the holy vs evil war. This is the general consensus of the world but the world also tends to believe good people get to Heaven. That couldn't be farther from the truth. I encourage you to find a verse in the Bible that says God causes suffering. And I say the Bible, not a human concept, because anyone can say "look at what Hitler did", and I can say, "yes but prove that was God" and you can't, because you don't even believe in God so how can you prove something you do not believe in the first place. And ultimately it is the Bible that we are arguing about so provide me with proof in the Bible that God causes suffering, and I will show you the meaning of the verse, and I can show you that man, sin, and Satan are the result of what is happening today.
To be equally fair, prove that God is actually responsible for any of the "good" things that happen in life(which can range from your boss giving you a raise, survivors of a tragic event, to someone meeting the love of their life).

If you can't accuse God of being the cause of "bad", you can't credit him for "good" either.

If God lets Hitler into Heaven because he believes, but condemns a saint to hell for disbelief, then this isn't exactly a God that I want to spend an eternity with, and further supports my theory of the "ass-kissing" believer.

Quote:
The translations have not changed any core meaning of the Bible, if you believe this provide me a verse and I will disprove it. Again watch the video.
I think Deuteronomy is a crowd favorite for "bad literature" in the Bible:
Quote:
(Deuteronomy 20:10-14)

As you approach a town to attack it, first offer its people terms for peace. If they accept your terms and open the gates to you, then all the people inside will serve you in forced labor. But if they refuse to make peace and prepare to fight, you must attack the town. When the LORD your God hands it over to you, kill every man in the town. But you may keep for yourselves all the women, children, livestock, and other plunder. You may enjoy the spoils of your enemies that the LORD your God has given you.

Quote:
No offense, as I do encourage the criticism, but it seems you are responding to my arguments without thoroughly looking at them. But please watch the video.
I could say the same about you. I also love people who keep pointing to excessively long videos as though it were a lifeline to avoid imminent death.

The fact that you can't simply quote a piece from the video to directly counter an argument goes to show that while you watched it, you have no understanding of what the guy said.

Quote:
Now if you want to argue about scriptures instead of logics, or if you want to argue logics of passages in the Bible, by all means, show me a verse. But it seems this argument has turned into an argument of logics, rather than the intended purpose. IF you want proof against science look no further than the video.
That's a video of a guy who's full of himself, talks too much, and makes a mockery of science with every other breath he takes.

But I'll humor you.

First, his question on the origin of matter and energy is indeed challenging. But like you said, man only knows a billionth of all there is to know about "everything". The origin of the universe is what I would like to consider as the ultimate discovery of science, it is the most difficult and most challenging question to answer, if not the last mystery of the universe to be answered. Kent seems to be under the delusion that because science can't answer everything, everywhere, right now, it's automatically wrong. Just because there's a question that science can't answer YET, that doesn't make it wrong.

Second, evolution takes millions of years to occur, there's no way to observe it happening. Similarly, star formation also takes millions of years, thus there is equally no way to actually observe it happening within our lifetimes, and the process can only be observed within our own galaxy, which severely limits the "trillions of stars each person on this planet can personally own".

His mention of angular momentum is amusing and horribly misleading, as angular momentum isn't the only force that exists in the universe. The children on the merry-go-round do not have sizable gravitational fields, nor do they generate powerful magnetic fields. At least one of which can have an effect on the rotation of a planet, star, or galaxy. The Big Bang is also more like 10,000 kids crammed in one merry-go-round. When one kid with a clockwise spin hits another kid also with a clockwise spin, which direction do you think they'll go next?

I also like his comment on the ACLU, referring to them as the "American Communist Lawyers Union", actual definition is the "American Civil Liberties Union". He had a nice little picture of the founder, Roger Balwin, with a quote above the picture stating, "Communism is the goal". That quote was no doubt taken out of context from a book he wrote, which CONDEMNED Communism(yes, he was against it and made efforts to purge the Communist Party from the ACLU).

He also made various claims that Creationism can be legally taught in science classes, almost as though it were the truth. No, they can't, or else we'd be seeing it taught everywhere(76% of the United States HAVE identified themselves as Christians after all).

When the guy warps the truth THAT much, it's a pretty safe assumption that most of what he says is a lie, and it's designed to fool the average joe who won't know the truth until he digs through 15 layers of bullsh*t.

I'll be happy to look through the rest of his video and surgically take it apart for everyone to look at when I'm done with work.

"I am the shadow cast by the light of science."