View Single Post
  (#63 (permalink)) Old
Dasha Offline
Dude......woah.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Dasha

Points: 15,537, Level: 18 Points: 15,537, Level: 18 Points: 15,537, Level: 18

Re: Can you look at religion scientifically, and still believe God exists? - July 25th 2009, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctis View Post
If you can't accuse God of being the cause of "bad", you can't credit him for "good" either.

If God lets Hitler into Heaven because he believes, but condemns a saint to hell for disbelief, then this isn't exactly a God that I want to spend an eternity with, and further supports my theory of the "ass-kissing" believer.

I think Deuteronomy is a crowd favorite for "bad literature" in the Bible:
Actually God created Man and gave him free will. Everything was good UNTIL man was tricked by the devil(whom was evil) and ate the fruit. Technically man created bad(on this earth), which I think is quite the accomplishment, aye?

Quote:
If God lets Hitler into Heaven because he believes, but condemns a saint to hell for disbelief, then this isn't exactly a God that I want to spend an eternity with, and further supports my theory of the "ass-kissing" believer.
God also has rules as well. Think of it like this, that saint may have been good all his life, but by not accepting God(according to the faith), he broke the only rule and can not be accepted into heaven. Plus, even the most saintly person sins. That would be like a person cheating on a test but saying, "well I got all the right answers, why wont you give me my score." If Hitler at the very last moment went ahead and completed the test without cheating, then he gets in, no matter how many other tests he cheated on before. Same with the saint. Up until your last moment you have until you can accept him. If you can't follow one simple rule, why should God let you into his heaven?

God had not forced anyone to follow him. He has made us with our own free will and our own free choices. If we do not choose to follow him, well that's all fine and dandy. But if you don't follow the rules then I don't see why should he let you in.
Parents love their children, but that don't mean they aren't to be punished when they break the rules. Some actions just bring much worse punishment then others. That does not mean when they are punished that God hates them, no.
He already gave people free will, he gave them a rule book, he told them what they can and can not do, gave them the pros and consequences. Now what kind of a parent would he be if he did not follow the rules he set himself? He said he would bring those who accepted him into his home, and only those. And that is what he will do.

Quote:
I think Deuteronomy is a crowd favorite for "bad literature" in the Bible:
Just like you said the man quoted something out of context, so have you.
God may love all, but he protects HIS people first. He was saying that if they wanted to attack X people whom had sought to harm them or blasphemed God, then that is how they would have to do it. God would not fight their battles for them, but show them how to do it in order to win.
Quote:
15Thus shalt thou do unto all the cities which are very far off from thee, which are not of the cities of these nations.

16But of the cities of these people, which the LORD thy God doth give thee for an inheritance, thou shalt save alive nothing that breatheth:

17But thou shalt utterly destroy them; namely, the Hittites, and the Amorites, the Canaanites, and the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites; as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee:

18That they teach you not to do after all their abominations, which they have done unto their gods; so should ye sin against the LORD your God.
source

"For is it not death nor dying that I fear. But lack of life and purpose."
-----------
Love what is mortal; hold it against your bones knowing your own life depends on it; and, when the time comes to let it go, let it go.
-Mary Oliver

Last edited by Dasha; July 25th 2009 at 12:53 AM.