View Single Post
  (#71 (permalink)) Old
Dasha Offline
Dude......woah.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Dasha

Points: 15,537, Level: 18 Points: 15,537, Level: 18 Points: 15,537, Level: 18

Re: Can you look at religion scientifically, and still believe God exists? - July 26th 2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctis View Post
Technically it sounds like the Adam and Eve tale accuses humanity of being guilty of learning. It almost sounds like the "right" thing to do would be to remain ignorant and live like dumb animals.
Not guilty of learning, guilty of disobeying. They could have easily asked God for answers to questions.

Quote:
And I suppose that doesn't sound WRONG in any way to you? The saint carries no malicious intent, he isn't exactly "cheating" as you so describe it. It would be in fact more accurate to say that he was ACCUSED of cheating, and nobody believed him. The saint does not conspire to cheat.
Hitler on the other hand would be a 100% cheater even to the end. He cheats, but he believes he's doing the right thing, and because of that belief, he is rewarded for cheating.
It is called a second chance. If he was TRULY sorry for what he had done in the end, what is the problem with forgiving him? God is a loving and forgiving God.
aren't Saints God's followers anyways? So why was the saint chosen for this argument? Plus, if the Saint was not accepting of God, then why was he doing all good works anyways? For selfish reasons most likely. "You get into heaven by faith and not by works alone."

Quote:
Let me tell you what God and his "rules" are.
God is sort of like my mother.
She beats me, at 6 years old, for CRYING. The harder I cry, the harder she beats me until I shut the **** up. Yet what 6 year old doesn't cry? Especially when beaten with the belt buckle?

That is God. God makes rules that is simply physically and psychologically IMPOSSIBLE to abide by. It's like saying that if you're over 6 inches tall, you're guilty and I'm going to condemn you to an eternity of suffering, but you can get out of it easy by kissing my ass.
"Let me tell you what God and his "rules" are." Excuse me? You apparently hate and/or don't believe in God, how are you to know what his rules are? The rules are not impossible to abide by, Jesus did it(and even many scientists agree he lived). Adam and Eve did it for a short while. Sin is doing something bad. Sinning gets you into hell. God forgives sinners and saves them from hell. Where are you getting he is evil from?

Quote:
Hmm, no matter how you look at that, it sounds like God is suggesting that we should utterly and mercilessly wipe out anyone with a different religious belief. It seems like everyone is to be wiped out, and that the entire city itself is guilty. Which is irrational of course.
Even if a SMALL group of fanatics from one city attacks them(or the governing body that rules over them), it's not like 100% of the city is responsible for it.

But if you feel the urge to go on a crusade for religious genocide, feel free.
Again, you just completely took that out of context. That was not God telling them to go take out people because they believe in something different(though that is what you are doing, verbally taking out God and us because you don't agree with us. Stop being a hypocrite). "That was him saying, if you are going to war(because I know you are), if you want guaranteed victory, this is what you do." Like cheat codes if you will. Back then, if you were going to attack someone. Would you leave any warriors alive to come back and attack you? At that time all Men were most likely warriors or whatever. This was a SMART way to go about war. and again, God protects HIS people, the ones whom have accepted him. Why should he not help them in war, even if it is bloody business.

"For is it not death nor dying that I fear. But lack of life and purpose."
-----------
Love what is mortal; hold it against your bones knowing your own life depends on it; and, when the time comes to let it go, let it go.
-Mary Oliver