View Single Post
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
SimplyComplex Offline
SimplyComplex :)
I've been here a while

Name: Melissa

Points: 16,273, Level: 18 Points: 16,273, Level: 18 Points: 16,273, Level: 18

Re: addiction(?) - August 2nd 2009, 03:19 PM

Addiction: A chronic relapsing condition characterized by compulsive drug-seeking and abuse and by long-lasting chemical changes in the brain. Addiction is the same irrespective of whether the drug is alcohol, amphetamines, cocaine, heroin, marijuana, or nicotine. Every addictive substance induces pleasant states or relieves distress. Continued use of the addictive substance induces adaptive changes in the brain that lead to tolerance, physical dependence, uncontrollable craving and, all too often, relapse. Dependence is at such a point that stopping is very difficult and causes severe physical and mental reactions from withdrawal. The risk of addiction is in part inherited. Genetic factors, for example, account for about 40% of the risk of alcoholism. The genetic factors predisposing to addiction are not yet fully understood.

Source: http://www.medterms.com/script/main/...ticlekey=10177

I would say, the terms in which you use the substance can also determine a future addiction. Meaning, if you use this to get away from problems and push down emotions- it's easier to form an addiction to something you're using as a coping method. If you still can't get it off your mind and find yourself thinking of smoking as the only solution to some forms of stress or problems - I would begin to worry about addiction because you're putting the substance up on a high pedestal.

01 // 10 // 11

Baby stand tall. You can have it all.

Don't you worry your pretty little mind, people throw rocks at things that shine..