View Single Post
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
InSovietRussiaORGASMGotU Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 14,869, Level: 17 Points: 14,869, Level: 17 Points: 14,869, Level: 17

Re: addiction(?) - August 16th 2009, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asyoulikeit View Post
I'm sure this has been asked before, but...when are you considered addicted to something? Smoking in particular is what I'm thinking of- I can go a week without thinking about it, but I wonder if just having it on my mind alot means that I'm going to start to get dependant on it. Sorry if it's stupid, but I don't know who to ask.
There are two main types of addictions for substance abuse: mental and physical. Mental is when you have thoughts about getting whatever the substance is and taking it. Physical is when your body goes into withdrawl when the substance isn't there because it's still used to trying to compensate for when you did take it. You can become more tolerant to it and eventually need more of whatever it is and your body is still "thinking" that you're taking it (as your body strives to keep everything the same as possible).

When you don't smoke, do you think of smoking, do you think what needs to be done to get the smoke, etc...? When you don't smoke, do you feel very on edge or have other changes, either in behavior or in your physical well-being?

Depending what it is you're taking, you can determine the chances of you getting addicted.