View Single Post
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
InSovietRussiaORGASMGotU Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 14,869, Level: 17 Points: 14,869, Level: 17 Points: 14,869, Level: 17

Re: Career advice?writer, psychologist,doctor?Very confused - September 23rd 2009, 03:53 AM

For the writing, it's either a "make or break" career, that is, either you become an incredibly famous writer or you're a mere joe blow. If you want, you could teach writing, either in college or university or just in high school.

As for psychology, I'm aiming to be a doctor, although not a medical doctor, I'm more interested in getting a PsyD (doctorate in psychology) and that allows me to do more clinical work, although I'd be fine with a PhD. It's not an easy track because for a PsyD or PhD, you first need a four-year bachelor's degree as a BA or BSc. After that, you need a Master's degree and after that, you get your PhD or PsyD. To do clinical work, you need about 1-2 years extra and this is basically with getting used to the clinical duties, the hospital, etc... . One of the reasons why I want to become a PsyD is the money as whether you're in Canada or the US, you make a good amount and you don't need to be fantastic at chemistry. Where we differ is that I'm more oriented towards neuroscience and neuropsychology, however, also towards forensic psychology. As a PsyD for neuropsych., you can deal with children, adults, etc... but regardless of what your PsyD is in, you're mostly there for diagnosing and some psychotherapy. You'd also get more in-depth with the patient than the average psychiatrist.

For a medical doctor, you need to complete a four-year bachelor's degree and then head off to medical school.

When you add up all the time needed for education, there's not much difference between a medical doctor and a PhD or PsyD.

You mentioned you want time for your creativity, well, I'm not sure how much extra writing time you'll get as a PsyD or PhD. They typically work with medical doctors, mostly psychiatrists and neurologists but also other psychologists, so I don't know how much leisure time you'd get. I'd imagine it'd be a pretty busy day because you're essentially there for diagnosing and medical doctors may refer patients to see you, either for therapy, diagnosing or both. Point is, you'd have those two main jobs so I would imagine you'd be pretty busy.

For child psychology, you may have to deal with cases of trauma and child abuse, and working with the abused children.

I'm not sure if you're interested in it but most people who I've talked to, including non-psych. students, like the idea of forensic psychology. In the US, it can be a very very well-paying career depending what field within forensic psychology you pursue. Some fields may have you signing six-figure pay cheques whereas others would simply be over $150k.