(#7 (permalink)) Old
Lugez Offline
Asshole
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 15,360, Level: 18 Points: 15,360, Level: 18 Points: 15,360, Level: 18

Re: Medication/Anti-Depressants - November 5th 2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBL87 View Post
IMO, psychotropic medications are a good jump start but in most cases should not become a lifelong necessity. Especially with dysthymia, antidepressants can help to jump start recovery. However, with both social anxiety and depressive disorders (of which dysthymia is one) there are therapies which tend to work, particularly cognitive-behavioral therapy in my experience.

The thing about antidepressants, and any psychotropic medications for that matter, is that they permanently alter your brain chemistry. That is the reason I have never been on antidepressants, despite having been depressed. As a psychology major, I am very wary of medications, but I don't go so far as to say that they are bad. Over prescribed, no question in my mind, but not bad when used properly.

Now, I don't know what the laws are in NJ, but in Illinois, unless a therapist is a psychiatrist they can not prescribe medication. Refer to a psychiatrist, yes, but not prescribe them. Before you go on a medication, I would meet with a psychiatrist. Some people go to their general practitioner after a recommendation from a therapist, which IMO is removing the expert in the area (the psychiatrist) from an equation.
The thing is my therapist does CBT, and the whole things seems like a crock of shit to be honest. It seems like they just try to change how I think and tell me that I'm wrong, rather than trying to fix the actual issue.

And the laws are similar in NJ, I have to go somewhere else for someone to look at me, then they prescribe it.

So basically...Do you think it would be worth it or not? I know it's a weird question but I'm not sure what to do. "Altering brain chemistry" doesn't sound good to me..