View Single Post
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
BigBL87 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Points: 10,910, Level: 15 Points: 10,910, Level: 15 Points: 10,910, Level: 15

Re: Medication/Anti-Depressants - November 5th 2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugez View Post
The thing is my therapist does CBT, and the whole things seems like a crock of shit to be honest. It seems like they just try to change how I think and tell me that I'm wrong, rather than trying to fix the actual issue.

And the laws are similar in NJ, I have to go somewhere else for someone to look at me, then they prescribe it.

So basically...Do you think it would be worth it or not? I know it's a weird question but I'm not sure what to do. "Altering brain chemistry" doesn't sound good to me..
Honestly, as long as you think it is a crock it won't work. 99.9% of therapies will not work if a client doesn't buy into it (I'd say all, but you always have exceptions). CBT is a very popular therapy, I'm partial to Adlerian and Solution Focused Therapies with some CBT mixed in. In any event, in some situations it can help immensely, but I can't say for sure for any situation. I just present the facts, I don't like to give advice on mental health issues.

You might tell your therapist that the CBT isn't working for you, and ask about pursuing another route in either event.

The idea behind CBT is that problems are based on a faulty view of the world, and behaviors resulting perpetuate that flawed thinking. I.e. "I'll never get better," which leads to not seeking help. The thought is debilitating, and leads to a behavior that perpetuates it. There may be "initial" problems, but CBT says that they are not as much the issue as how one responds to them (which I somewhat agree with). One reason I like Adlerian psychotherapy is that is doesn't gloss over initiating problems quite as much as CBT does. I think a psychotherapist is best served to have a wide array of schools to draw from.

Last edited by BigBL87; November 6th 2009 at 05:54 PM.