View Single Post
  (#28 (permalink)) Old
disaster117 Offline
Disappear here.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alyssa

Points: 9,457, Level: 14 Points: 9,457, Level: 14 Points: 9,457, Level: 14

Re: Questions for the LGBT communtiy - November 16th 2009, 10:13 PM

1.How would you describe your current sexuality?
My current sexuality is bisexual, and it's definitely set in stone. I know that I would never be straight, and I could never give up girls, lol.

2.At what age did you first start questioning?
Well the first time I can remember ever feeling different was when I thought I was in love with my friend named Alex (a girl) in 1st grade. It's weird looking back and understanding what that could've meant then, but of course, everything was so innocent then, you can't really say for sure. I definitely started questioning for real when I was 15.

3.What events lead up to the point where you decided you where lesbian/gay/bi/trans?
Well I started to fantasize about girls, and at first it really freaked me out, but I was already very into the LGBT community and had already considered myself a straight ally. As I learned more about the community I guess I just was more comfortable with the fact that I too, might be a part of it.

4.When was your first relationship with someone the same sex?
I wouldn't call it a relationship. Friends with benefits, and it started in March 2009 and ended in June 2009.

5.How did you finally conclude/know that you where lesbian/gay/bi/trans?
I honestly don't remember. It wasn't like a black and white kind of thing. It took a while to conclude that I was bisexual because for a while I thought I might've been a lesbian. Sexuality is confusing, that's for sure. Also, I really did not want to be anything other than straight. Even though I was a "straight" ally, I couldn't imagine myself as being any kind of gay. I remember writing in my journal about it, and how I couldn't believe that I could be gay. That was a moment for me that I really looked at myself and said, "What am I saying?". I just didn't want to feel so sad about it anymore, and I finally accepted it.

5.When did "come out"
Came out to the first person in January 2009. Included the rest of my friends gradually over the next few weeks, and I'm pretty sure all of them know now.

6.How did your friends and family act when they heard? Did people treat you different?
The only friend of mine who treated me differently was one of my best friends. She gets "freaked out" by lesbians, and I think she thought that I liked her or something. She eventually apologized for it and now we're all good again. My other friends did not, because they're all straight allies pretty much.

7.Any tips for those who are still questioning?
Being gay/bisexual/lesbian is just kind of something you know. All I want to tell people is don't hate yourself for being gay or for even questioning your sexuality. You are who you are, and you cannot change that.

And a little bit of advice about coming out: it's ultimately your decision when you want to do it, and don't do it for anyone else but yourself. It will be a better experience for you and for everyone else involved if you're doing it because you WANT to.

"We all become important when we realize our goal should be to figure out our role within the context of the whole."

“Alright, no need to fight
’cause everybody’s different
and there’s nothin’ you can do about it
and just because I don’t look like you
or act like you it doesn’t make me
any better or worse”