View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount84

Edit avatar

So doctor, is it a boy or a girl? Ah... I don't know? - November 19th 2009, 04:40 PM

Ok, silly title, but more serious issue. With growing scientific knowledge and research, the number of children born with 'intersex' conditions, who are in some way not typically male or female, is notably significant. Something like 1 every 2000 births... at the same time, some conditions aren't even noticed by doctors at the infant's birth, so it's potentially higher.

When a child is born with 'ambigious gentitals' (so if they deem the clit to be too big, or the penis to be too small), they will carry out surgery on the child to give it clear cut gentitals (though note, they generally will turn gentitals into female organs, as its easier and more successful to take away tissue, then to build it up). This sometimes happens without even asking the parents. Or parents often consent to it, and won't even tell their kid.

There are intersexed adults who find out they've had this surgery performed on them before they remember, and they aren't happy with it, there are others who feel they were assigned the wrong sex, and I'm sure they are others who haven't got any issues and maybe don't even know.

But I guess my question in this discussion, do you believe parents have the right to change an infants sexual organs at a young age, or should they leave it till the kid grows up to decide? Do you believe they are obligued to tell their child if its done? Should doctors ever be allowed to do this without asking parents? Is this an issue of the gender policing that does happen a lot in our society?

This isn't so much about choosing to raise the kid as a particular gender... but specifically about the idea of surgery, and sorta, where do parental rights end, and the infant's begin.

I think this link gives the jest of info. Even wiki is pretty extensive, so yeah.

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/hea...rsex-26531.htm