View Single Post
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
InSovietRussiaORGASMGotU Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 14,869, Level: 17 Points: 14,869, Level: 17 Points: 14,869, Level: 17

Re: So doctor, is it a boy or a girl? Ah... I don't know? - November 21st 2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invert View Post
But I guess my question in this discussion, do you believe parents have the right to change an infants sexual organs at a young age, or should they leave it till the kid grows up to decide?
I think it could be beneficial if the parents decide IF the parents cannot accept the child's ambiguous sex as that may pose a threat to the child's development. If the parents are fine and can raise the child which includes educate the child about its sex, then there's no need for the surgery.

In other words, it'd be unethical for the parents to not have the child undergo the surgery if the parents cannot raise it properly for that reason. It may not allow the child to decide but it then begs the question, what is more important, allowing the child to grow up in a proper environment or get to choose something for itself even when it means possibly compromising it from having normal development. The answer is obvious.

Quote:
Do you believe they are obligued to tell their child if its done?
I see no reason why they would be obliged.

Quote:
Should doctors ever be allowed to do this without asking parents?
If it is a grave emergency to save the infant, otherwise, no.

Quote:
This isn't so much about choosing to raise the kid as a particular gender... but specifically about the idea of surgery, and sorta, where do parental rights end, and the infant's begin.
The infant may have rights when it is very young, however, it does not have the capacity to use them so it would need others (i.e. parents) to make the decisions on its be-half.