View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Soap Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 8,902, Level: 13 Points: 8,902, Level: 13 Points: 8,902, Level: 13

To those who have experience with medication/therapy.. - December 28th 2009, 01:30 AM

I've been thinking about getting help lately. I have had what I believe to be depression for as long as I can remember, I feel completely numb at times to any emotions whatsoever. I have been reading up on some medications, for example Prozac and I've come across some rather disturbing side-effects.

I read about this man who got prescribed anti-depressants at the age of 17 and ended up with such a low sex drive that he couldn't imagine himself ever getting married or having children or anything of the sort. I read stories of people who had been off medications for over ten years and still had these side-effects. Some also claimed that the medications did absolutely nothing for them but make them gain weight.

I'm also not sure what to say if I were to get an appointment anywhere. I suspect that I have ADHD and I have quite a few issues I'd like to discuss but when I have done that in the past with people (including a few whose jobs included caring for the mentally ill), they tend to either ignore me completely before I get a chance to explain myself or, at worst, laugh in my face.

My mother is one of those people who always brushes these things off, so I'd have to book an appointment myself. The thing is, I don't know how I'll be able to afford it, if I'll need to have a credit card, who I'll call exactly or how they'll react to someone who's under the age of 18 calling.

Thank you in advance to anyone who happens to answer.