View Single Post
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
SingleMom Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 9,102, Level: 13 Points: 9,102, Level: 13 Points: 9,102, Level: 13

Re: What's the difference between circumcision and being uncircumcised? - January 1st 2010, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ml66uk View Post
If you were an Egyptian man dating a girl who wasn't circumcised, all your friends would think that was strange and dissgusting.

This is new information to me. I've never heard of females being circumcised or why it would be beneficial. I'd like more info on this, just to learn more, if there is an online source you could point me to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ml66uk View Post
It's worth remembering that no-one except for Jewish people and Muslims would be circumcised. . .

What about Christians also? My understanding is that it is part of Jewish, Islamic, and Christian religions. It also exists geographically -- ancient Egyptians, in Africa, western Asia, and the Pacific, including Australia. The religious thoughts continue today, to my knowledge.

That was one of the reasons I had my son circumcised. Partially because of Christian beliefs and partly because the medical info I found at the time recommended it (more hygienic and "The public health benefits are enormous, and include protection from urinary tract infections, sexually transmitted HIV, human papillomavirus, herpes, syphilis and chancroid, penile and prostate cancer, phimosis, thrush, and inflammatory dermatoses. In women circumcision of the male partner provides substantial protection from cervical cancer, herpes and chlamydia.")

This may or not be true today, but it is the information I had access to at the time, what the doctors I consulted recommended, and what I based my decision on outside of being a Christian. However, I did not have it done right after birth since I was told that pain medicine would not be administered and that he would feel no pain. I could not see how anyone could know whether it would hurt them at that age or not since nobody remembers back to their first few days of birth and the infants obviously can't tell them. I had it done when he was a month old since they would provide pain meds at that age. He was calm when they brought him back out to me and didn't seem to have any pain issues after the meds wore off, or at least none that caused him to cry or seem upset.

However, I still believe that the opinions of others can differ and mine is neither right or wrong for others. It was right for us, but that's just us.

~SingleMom~
Every little bit of help is a big help because
"To the world you may just be one person, but to one person you may be the world"
-- Brandi Snyder