(#6 (permalink)) Old
her_beautiful_mistake Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Points: 21,551, Level: 21 Points: 21,551, Level: 21 Points: 21,551, Level: 21

Re: Anyone Studying To Be A Doctor? - January 1st 2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzmatazz Rach View Post

My brother has the NHS paying his fees and gets his student loan and NHS bursary.
Out of the 4 years of his postgraduate degree he gets the NHS funding for the last 3 years (even if you have to resit a year). The first year he had to pay for his own fees. He has got his student loan for the whole 4 years, it is lower than his first student loan because it is just for maintenance, food and rent basically.

He has actually been given more money on his graduate entry degree. In his first degree he only got his student loan with no help from the NHS.

Try not to worry about money too much, you will always get financial help from the uni and the NHS when doing medicine.

Also I definitely agree with looking at GCSE results needed. My friend applied this year and he has been rejected for 3 of his choices already because he didn't have a B in English. He didn't realise he needed it until it is was too late to resit it. One of his teachers is writing to all of the Uni's because English is his 3rd language and he got a high C.
I think this is very misleading for the poster, few people get this much funding and she should be worrying about money. Yes the graduate entry schemes are great but to opt into doing graduate-entry rather than undergraduate entry really has too many negatives. Not only that but your brother is going to come out of University with a debt from his first degree and then another 4 years added on top of that. I can't even imagine how much that is. When I leave I will be 28 y.o or something similar, about the age I want to start a family, but with so much debt I'd struggle I think. Everyone writes it off as "it's fine, it just comes out of your pay check every month you don't have to think about it" which is all well and good but you're still paying out a regular monthly amount for years - I'm not the kind of person that likes being in so much debt. Clearly graduate-entry schemes are great but as I said, choosing to do graduate-entry over normal undergraduate entry is really rather foolish.

Also saying that you will get help from the University and NHS doing medicine is untrue - I've been saving for two years because I will struggle to pay myself through University. There are exceptions to this rule but saying not to worry about money generally is a bad idea because it's a major concern for most people.

To be honest your friend wouldn't have been much better off resitting it because they don't tend to accept resit results. GCSEs are a big hurdle for a lot of people so the more A*s you have the better, with lesser grades you're limiting the number of Universities you can apply to and your chances. Sucks but that's how competitive it is

I also forgot to mention that for a lot of gradute-entry schemes they are now starting to look at your A' Level results and still want high grades. As well as significant work experience.

Last edited by her_beautiful_mistake; January 1st 2010 at 11:19 AM.