Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Points: 22,302, Level: 21 Points: 22,302, Level: 21 Points: 22,302, Level: 21

Re: Sex and Religion - January 1st 2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rican Roll View Post
Where is Nightmare when you need him?

Michael, while you may be trying to help, this is your basic message to this poor girl:

"You can engage in sexual activities, but you should feel horrible about and resent and regret every action."

You DO realize that that is a mindset that will traumatize her, right? It would appear she is unsure of where she stands on the subject, and here you come force feeding negative connotations to her choices.

If she chooses to wait until marriage fine, but if waiting is not the choice she makes, she shouldn't have to completely scar herself for life by coming to hate herself and her sexual desires, which is what you're basically telling her to do.

Sparkles, make the decision that makes you happy and if it really becomes a problem for you, see your pastor or local religious leader or support group.
THANK YOU! I'm so glad someone actually thought to say this. There's a time and place for religious debate, but this isn't it.

Sparkles, what it really comes down to is this. No one knows one way or another about what you're asking. Some have said yes, obviously, others will say no. If you choose to follow a particular set of beliefs, ask someone who's well versed in those beliefs. If you choose to believe the bible, then read it. Personally though, I'd encourage you to decide what you believe yourself. Do you think god would hate you for having sex? Do you think god has any problem with sex in the first place? No one knows, so nothing makes a priest's or a philosopher's opinion any more correct or valid than your own.

Whatever you choose, just make sure that your beliefs make you happy. Always feeling miserable and inadequate is no way to live. Hope you're having a good day!

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.