Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Points: 22,302, Level: 21 Points: 22,302, Level: 21 Points: 22,302, Level: 21

Re: Why don't you consider Atheism a religion? - March 3rd 2010, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael. View Post
Expressing lack of a belief in something is in fact a belief. The problem is that without God, atheism must come up with thoughts concerning the nature and purpose of our universe, much like religion tries to explain and though none of this can be proven 100% fault proof it is thus a faith. If it is a faith shared by a group of people it is condoned a religion. Many atheist have different thoughts on different aspects of life or if you wish specific doctrines. Therefore if you wish to say that atheist embrace different beliefs, true. However, Christians share different beliefs but one universal belief that Jesus is God and Savior of the world (most of them anyways). Between the lines and in the gray there is a numerous amounts of beliefs. May I even suggest that not even a single Christian shares the same exact beliefs on other doctrines apart from the redemption of sinful man by Christ. Therefore this is a single belief yet qualifies us as a religion simply because it is a deity. However, as mentioned a deity is not needed to condone a religion. Therefore I would suggest there are even practicing atheist in that many are worshipers of self doing what pleases them and though you may not consider self to be your "lord" I would revise otherwise. Not only this there are many idols within the atheist community, Dawkins being one of many.

I can drag on, but either way I believe they are refusing the word because they do not want to be considered a religion. Even though they are just in fact that. If it is not a religion an atheist should no longer refer to themselves as thus (atheist) because in saying such it is promoting a sect of beliefs that they have concerning the nature and cause of the universe. I am certain majority of people know what an atheist and separate them amongst a group of people as people separate Christians as another group of people. In other words, we stereotype such as a religion; much like people do Christianity. If you do not have a sect of beliefs concerning the nature and cause of the universe that coincide with other people than this would be nullified as a religion. However, since you consider yourself amongst a group of people I think it redundant to say it is not a religion. None the less, I don't think it matters either way. I was just curious because in my mind it qualifies as a religion. I suppose it's relative though.
The problem with this argument is simply that the definition of religion you choose to use is not at all specific. "A set of beliefs concerning the nature of the universe" is part of it, certainly, but not the whole of it. Religions prescribe a set of rules or ideals by which one should live, for example; atheism does not.

Consider CanandaCraig as an example - hopefully he'll forgive me for dragging him into this. He calls himself a non-religious Christian, meaning that he believes that Christ exists, but is not a follower of the religion. If belief were all that defined a religion, then this would make no sense.

And the other main thing that separates atheism from religion is the type of belief. Almost every religion requires some amount of faith above and beyond what evidence we can find in the real world. So, for example, most Christians have more faith in the existence of Christ than in impartial observer would, given the evidence. Most atheists, however, strive to only be as confident in their world view as the evidence suggests. It is a different type of belief: belief in the quantifiable rather than belief in the unquantifiable. I feel this is an important distinction between the two.

That said, it is certainly possible to be a religious atheist. An atheist for example who actually claimed certainty in the validity of the big bang theory, and felt that there is a superior way to live as regards work, relationships, sexuality, etc; someone like that could probably be called a religious atheist. But the vast majority of us are not like that. As my roommate just so eloquently put it: "Most of the atheists I know just don't give a damn." And that is my experience as well.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.