View Single Post
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
shimmeringfaerie Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 18,257, Level: 19 Points: 18,257, Level: 19 Points: 18,257, Level: 19

Re: Abortion??? - April 6th 2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBL87 View Post
Just as pro-life arguments have holes, here's one in this: Why should the mother's choice take away the choice of the child? Doesn't that child have the right to choose if they want to live?
But the child isn't in a position to make that choice. Parents make a lot of choices for their children when they are young. What clothes they wear, if/where they attend school, what toys they have, what TV they can watch.

I don't see how you can argue that if the pregnancy is going to be a physically and emotionally traumatic experience for the mother and baby, that you would still force that mother to carry the baby to term. And then when the baby is born, you would make it grow up learning that it's dad was a rapist or that it's the product of incest? No one here who is "pro-life" has yet to explain how that is "right".

Even if you choose adoption, that baby could grow up feeling worthless and unwanted because its own parents gave it away. I'm sure there are a lot of adopted kids who feel like that. And personally, I think it's immoral to make a child suffer through that all their lives.

I don't like the idea that there is a blanket "moral right" that fits every scenario and situation. If you look at the scenarios I listed in my earlier post, I honestly have no idea how you could say that forcing a woman to give birth in those situations is morally right. You say that abortion is killing another human being? Well, abortion seems like a much more humane method than forcing child and mother to risk their lives and their physical and emotional well-being because someone else told them they had to.

PM me!

Dreaming about the day
When you wake up and find
That what you're looking for
Has been here the whole time.
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.